Saturday, August 22, 2015

Vacation reflections


We just took a major vacation back to the US, not necessarily our plan for 2015 but when an important family member decides, on his 81st birthday, to get remarried, it was definitely an event that we wanted to participate in…..please read on!

“What we want out of a vacation changes as we age.  It changes from vacation to vacation.  There was a time when it was all about culture for me.  My idea of a real break was to stay in museums until my legs ached and then go stand in line to get tickets for an opera or a play.  Later I became a disciple of relaxation and looked for words like beach and massage when making my plans.  I found those little paper umbrellas that balanced on the side of rum drinks to be deeply charming then.  Now I strive for transcendent invisibility and the chance to accomplish the things I can’t get done at home.  But as I pack up my room at the Hotel Bel-Air, I think the best vacation is the one that relieves me of my own life for a while and then makes me long for it again.”  Ann Patchett, “Do Not Disturb” in This is the Story of a Happy Marriage

This quote so accurately describes where I’m at in terms of vacation in recent weeks.  When I lived in Africa, and had to come up to Europe annually for a medical check up, it was all about culture then.  I would try to get in at least one museum visit and one classical music event, whether a concert or an opera.  I’ve never done the “little paper umbrellas on the side of the rum drinks” kind of vacation in life, but I have some fond memories of sitting poolside with a book in Cameroon on an occasion or two.
Taking a long look back at Garoua, Cameroon

Poolside with KB (Karen Benson)
But what I really love from this quote is her last line:  “the best vacation is the one that relieves me of my own life for a while and then makes me long for it again.” 
We had way too much fun in the US, hanging out with both of our families, playing piano solos and duets on a grand piano as Dad and Janice came in and promised, at age 81, to honor, love, and cherish till death do us part!  Fun to see them smiling, kissing, laughing, and enjoying their families and friends.  I totally got into the wedding fun and made sure that there was some clinking of glasses at the wedding reception so that they had the chance to kiss ~ with half of the retirement community where they live, and their families, looking on with great approval!

The bride and groom at the Taco Fiesta Bar....no last minute jitters here!

You gotta love the almost 81 year old groom doing the hoola hoop ~

Don't we all look good together?!

Okay, one of us had a little bit too much fun with masks!
 It was a busy vacation:  too many hours spent in the car, traveling from one family to the other, working hard to help with moving and compacting apartments.  But it was a great vacation because I walked away from it, longing for my life back home in Belgium, way sooner than I had anticipated.
I don't think there is any explanation for this one....
A rare quiet and reflective vacation moment
Childhood memories for Steve at Portage Lake Bible Camp
9 hours was too long to reach this destination....but totally worth it in the end ~


Hanging out with my NW Indiana family.....loving it!


Thanks, Paul and Janice, for providing the occasion that took us out of our ministry world in Europe and allowed us to enjoy all of your joy and time with family and friends.
The Newlyweds ~

Next vacation…..???