Saturday, July 25, 2015

Look for the helpers

Well, here we go again.  It’s time for VBS (vacation Bible school, or vakantie Bijbel school in the local lingo).  It’s time to transform the building that we  can use from a formal Dutch speaking church…..

The "before" shot.....

What a cozy coffee corner!
....to Mount Everest, where kids are conquering challenges with God’s Mighty Power (thanks, Group Publishing, www.group.com, for this super fun curriculum!)

I have to admit, I went into the week a bit weary, physically tired.  Life is just plain busy right now.  As we pulled up to the church to set up last Sunday, and we went around taking pictures of how the church was already set up so that we could set it up again when we were done on Friday, I found myself thinking “Lord, are we going to have enough helpers this week?”  And then, to my great surprise…..the helpers just kept pouring on in!
All camping gear on deck and ready to go!

Setting up Mt. Everest, complete with hiking boots and hiking sticks, and stuffed bears...

What is your real name, oh faithful VBS director???

I was reminded of a quote that I recently read by Mr. Rogers, the famous American minister who hosted a TV children’s program called Mr. Rogers neighborhood.
“When I was a boy and I would see scary thing in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers - so many caring people in this world.” - Fred “Mr.” Rogers

Well, our helpers were amazing!  Teenagers who gave up their lazy summer mornings to be ready to leave home in the early morning, moms and dads who gave up vacation days and the Belgian national day, pregnant moms who were willing to get up and down off the floor in order to lead a group of kids one step closer to Jesus.  
Getting our kids to the cross, even during snack time ~

Even the Belgian flag showed up on 21 July, Belgian National Day!

It was all worth it, for moments like these...

Feeling totally blessed!
Best. VBS. Ever!
Thank you AIPC!

And at the end of the day, there were washers and dryers to move too ~ thanks helpers!