I’ve decided to include a few pictures of where we meet for “church”
on a Sunday morning. We rent space
in the fine arts building of a local school here in Antwerp, and sometimes we’re
just challenged to have a space that feels like a church ~ especially as the
school prepares for their spring play.
 |
| This is my church?? |
 |
| Invasion of the cabaret guitar |
|
 |
Holy ground at AIPC
|
A couple of weeks ago, as we began worship, I asked if
anyone felt like they were at church right now, with all the props from the
school’s stage that keep invading our space for worship. And there was a loud shout from the
back of the theater, “yes, this feels like church because we are the church!” Reminds me of another time when during
a children’s sermon, one girl was quick to point out that this was her school,
but on Sundays, the church comes to her school. And we were that church.
So, each Sunday as we drive onto the school campus, Steven
and I pray that this school building would become holy ground, a place where
the Holy Spirit would show up and bless our gatherings. And He did that yesterday as we started
another round of discipleship training.
We are bringing together some of our church leaders to work alongside
the leaders of the growing group of new followers of Jesus coming from other
lands and other religions.
Language is always a challenge, and we realized that this will be the
case for this teaching as well, which is done in English but with subtitles in
the language that speaks to the new believers’ hearts. But they have the Bible in their heart
language, and study guides for the teaching are also available in their heart
language. Bottom line: We’re off to a great start!
Recently we had the opportunity to visit a cathedral in
England. Beautiful building. Stained glass windows. Organ. Modern baptismal font that was also a place that exuded
peace. I loved the “church”
building. Perhaps one day I’ll
find my place in a beautiful cathedral.
But for now, I’m quite at home in our “church” that meets in a school’s
theater building. Growing pains
included. It’s all part of being
part of the body of Christ. (For
the record, I think I’m a left foot pinky toe: one that supports...)
 |
| God knows my name, God knows my every thought |
 |
Baptismal fount that exuded beauty and peace (and cool water!)
|
 |
| I never grow weary of stained glass windows |
 |
| Check out the 4 women of the military who are celebrated in this photo! |
And that’s why I love my church. We all bring what we’ve been gifted with, and are using it
to teach others, to grow followers of Jesus, and to serve our Servant
King. What do you love about your
church???
 |
| I got this photo by accident in the Spanish Synagogue in the Jewish Quarter in Prague |